I provide actionable ideas about how to become an unconventional leader who can build an innovative organization that beats the competition. Specifically, I help leaders and managers to:
- Become an unconventional thinker and leader by learning, teaching and communicating new ideas and trying things that are significantly different
- Develop a strategy that builds unique competitive advantages that no other company can copy
- Craft an unconventional culture that that is almost impossible to copy
- Hire unconventional thinkers who can motivate themselves
- Create an environment that supports creativity and risk-taking, which are necessary to innovate
- Use humor and unedited honest communication to enhance performance
- Embrace change and turn it into a competitive advantage; create change on your terms
Why hire me?
1. Not a carbon copy speaker with the same old stories and wordy slides!
2. Great sense of humor and passion for my topic, which results in an experience!
3. Simple speaking style with no jargon or annoying speaker habits
4. Transformational ideas based on over 30 years of leadership learning; I know my stuff!
5. You will never forget my epiphany packed speeches that lead to action!
Below are my speaking topics, which I deliver as keynotes, seminars or webinars.
End Political Correctness and Really Communicate
- Political correctness is based on the idea that people have the right to never be offended. It has gotten to the point where everything is offensive and no one can talk about anything.
- I provide a full understanding of how political correctness prevents the honest communications needed to innovate.
- I also provide ideas that can be used to reduce or eliminate political correctness in your organization so that you can fully communicate and reach your vision.
Passion First, NOT Profit
- Profit was the top priority for Enron, Lehman Brothers, Bernie Madoff, etc. Do you want to be like them?
- The best companies are obsessed with their products, meeting customer needs and providing incredible value; think of Apple.
- Profit is just an outcome of their obsession, not the first priority.
- I offer new ways of thinking about your business so that you can focus on what customers want, then as a result become more profitable.
Rebel Against Barriers to Innovation
- To compete, companies must adapt to the changing environment and learn along the way.
- The most powerful way to do this is with an adaptive and learning culture, so that everyone is able to adapt and learn lessons and innovate.
- I provide ideas to create such a culture in your organization, so that you can innovate and win.
Stop Being So Nice, Start Being More Real
- People are so preoccupied with being nice that they ignore problems. For such fake people, everything is great, even when it is not.
- This is not only annoying, but it prevents open and honest communication that lead to innovation.
- I explain how dysfunctional this trend is and what you can do to reverse it in your organization so you can get real.
Destroy Creativity’s Mortal Enemy… Bureaucracy!
- Managers love that false sense of control created by policies, procedures and other bureaucratic mechanisms.
- Unfortunately, these prevent innovation and make adaptability near impossible.
- I provide ideas to replace bureaucracy with the freedom to change according to the current situation. The result is flexibly and innovation.
Developing a Global Mentality
- Surviving in a global business environment requires dynamic managers who understand and thrive in a changing environment.
- A global mindset allows personnel to be more adaptive and innovative.
- I help participants start to develop a global mindset so that they can take advantage of global opportunities.
Kick the Hooked On Experience Habit
- Richard Branson, Steve Jobs and Herb Kelleher had no experience when they started, yet look at what they created.
- Most jobs do not require people with years of experience, particularly jobs that require creativity.
- Companies are missing opportunities to hire people who have the potential to be innovative employees.
- I explain the high cost of this addiction and provide alternative selection criteria to help you find unconventional thinkers.
Learn to Love Critiques
- People are way too sensitive to any negative comments about their work. This prevents them from hearing the things they need to improve.
- Entire cultures revolve around the dysfunctional avoidance of any discussions that might hurt someone’s overly sensitive feelings.
- I provide ideas that any mature adult can use to develop mental toughness (thick skin), so that they can look forward to critiques and the opportunities for improvement they create.
You Are Not Special, Get Over It!
- Kids and adults are repeatedly told how special they are, even though they have not done anything special. The result is millions of people who expect special treatment, which is absurd!
- This is a problem at work because special people do not have to work like everyone else, even though they are just like everyone else!
- I provide a dose of reality and help participants overcome their “special” obsession and get to work; just like regular people.
Are You a Praise Junkie? Just Say No!
- GOOD JOB! for every little thing is what people have grown to expect, and their motivation suffers because of it.
- When endless praise is the thing that motivates you to do something, it replaces your natural motivation to perform well.
- The result is constant managerial effort (pushing) to get people to do their work.
- I provide ideas to get people back to their natural self-generated motivation, which results in more motivated workers with less managerial effort.
You Cannot Motivate, But You Can Match
- Managers and leaders are trained to believe that they can motivate people to do anything. …impossible!
- People come with their own motivations and there is nothing you can do to change these. The best you can do is match them to jobs they find motivating, so select people carefully.
- I help you understand how to match people to jobs they will find motivating.
Using Humor to Improve Performance
- Humor is an important contributor to organizational effectiveness because of its positive impact on a variety of factors such as group cohesiveness, performance, communication, leadership, creativity, and stress and turnover reduction.
- I will teach you about the benefits of effective humor in organizations and how to use humor to realize these benefits.